Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Crafty Handmade Holiday

This post is part of the series A Crafty Holiday put together by Angela of the Artists House where bloggers have been posting about what and why they are doing for a handmade holiday.  You can see a great post from yesterday by Gina Hief and tomorrow visit Three Ravens for more.

Now here's my story....
I can no longer sit on my sofa.  It’s not that I don’t want to, I am no longer allowed to - my son has turned it into a freeway inhabited by his fleet of cars and trucks.  I don’t think I have actually purchased a single matchbox car or tonka truck, even though we have over 30.  I am grateful for the gifts but coming downstairs every morning to a house full of STUFF makes me feel claustraphobic.  So this year the only things I am bringing into my life are the things that bring me joy.  What can make me smile when I step on it the morning?  A handmade toy - something made with love and attention to detail that is lacking in mass produced items.

Here are a few things I would love to get for the little guy in my life:
1. Baby Deck Chair by Board Games
2. Toy Boats by Friendly Faries
3. Shinkansen Bullet Train Shirt by Namu
4. Robot Blocks Toy Set by Woodmouse

When I buy handmade I know that I am supporting someone who loves what they do.  Somehow when my house is littered with handmade toys I do not feel claustrophobic, instead I feel like my life is filled with cheerful clutter. I smile when I pick up my sons handmade wooden boats and place them back by the bathtub.  I enjoy dusting off the artwork I have accumulated through the years.  I relish washing the ceramic mugs my hubby and I drink out of every morning - we each have our favorite handmade one (well maybe relish is a bit strong, but you catch my drift).  


And for my bigger guy some fun things:
1. Computer Terminal Retro 80s Fridge Magnet by Moddy Boy 80
2. Bear Cup by Mie Kongo
3. Repurposed wooden clock portable amp/ipod speaker by Rdallum
4. Dewey the Itty Bitty Robot Embroidery by Naomi Cayne

I will also admit that buying handmade is a little bit of a selfish act – because I know that no one else is going to be giving my gift.  I am going to stand out as the thoughtful gifter who sought out that amazingly unique item for someone I loved.  So I hope you all have a wonderful handmade holiday - what would you like to find in your stocking?

ps.  Santa, if you are reading this - here are a few hints for me - I've been a very good girl this year!





12 comments:

  1. Thanks for including my robot blocks! And I completely agree, there is a difference between handmade joyful clutter and the regular mass-produced kind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post - it so makes me want to buy even more handmade goodies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the robot blocks - I'm trying to figure out what little one needs these blocks from me for Christmas! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post. I really enjoyed reading this, and I couldn't agree more. Lately I sometimes get worried about the safety of plastics as well, when I don't know where the toys come from. You really picked some fabulous items for you son. And I hope Santa also delivers some of those beautiful items to you as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bear cup is too much! Adding to my list right away! This is a great post, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT! Hope you got that chair, its gone and I LOVE the white bear mug:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was fabulous, thanks for sharing! P.S. I absolutely adore the baby deck chair and the robot block set - SO CUTE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for including me in your blog :)

    I appreciate the shout-out and support!

    Making and buying handmade is just so much more fun and I completely agree with you about there being ultimately more satusfaction dusting off something you know is unique than item zyx from big box story xyz!

    Cheers and happy holidays!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  9. bleh edit: "satisfaction" and "box box store"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree totally about being surrounded by cheer when your home is filled with handmade items - I am able to remember the seller of every handmade item in my home. Buying handmade is a personal experience - You can't say that when you buy from a giant store!

    ReplyDelete