Tuesday, June 28, 2011

It's Raining Babies, or what to give for a shower

I have been attending an unusually high amount of baby showers these past few months.  It seems like all of my friends are having kids again - or for the first time.  So I thought it might be fun to share a few of my favorite baby shower gifts and tips with you today.

I know when I had my little guy a few years ago that I registered for all sorts of things that after he was born ended up gathering dust like the diaper wipe warmer, really?  My tip is for baby gear get the essentials - bottles as always needed, bibs are great, diaper pad covers will be used in abundance! You can also throw in a little something extra to make your gift of bottles a little more special, like Le Bibble which helps clean up the milk that doesn't quite hit it's target.

Le Bibble in Le Lime $12 found via 20BestTwenty

I also received a slew of baby clothes that were sized 0-3 and 3-6 months which meant my 8lb 6oz and 21 1/2 inch boy wore them exactely once before growing into size 6-9 month clothes by the end of his first month.  So now if I buy clothing for my friends I buy 6-9 month or up to make sure their little one will actually get the chance to wear it.  I absolutely adore this handmade romper by the Measure,  I mean is there anything cuter than a ruffled bottom?

Chevron Stripe Romper by The Measure $49 found via 20bestTwenty



When I show up at a shower I know the best way to get some oohs and ahhs is to buy a handmade gift for my friends.  Something that you cannot find at Babies R Us which will become an heirloom item that the family holds on to for the next child - or even passes along through the family.  Of course since I make mobiles most of my friends want a little mobile so they usually get something like my 2 lovebirds mobile or little raincloud, both of which are perfect for over the changing table or placed in a corner of the room by a rocker where you will spend lots of time!  If I don't know the sex of the baby I will usually give this, since everyone needs a little rainbow in their life:

Dreamy Rainbow Mobile by baby Jives $49 

Some other items which I love are the handmade wooden teethers rattles like this one by Smiling Tree Toys, handmade by parents using organic wood so your baby is set to rock, rattle and chew to their hearts content.

Organic Guitar Rattle by Smiling Tree Toys $26 via 20BestTwenty



Another great idea is a handmade growth chart to measure how quickly that little person will grow. I love this one by Love From Nora featuring Vintage VW buses handmade from felt and personalized with your little ones' name (if you know it).

VW Bus Growth Chart by LovefromNora $52 via Etsy

Years later we still use some of our favorite handmade items on a daily basis, like the knit blanket my friend made for my son and the wooden chair that my dad made for me is now my son's favorite place to sit and of course my son says good morning to his bird mobile every day. So what about you - what is your favorite baby shower gift to give?

4 comments:

  1. Cute finds! I love everything in TheMeasure's shop, thanks for introducing me! And your shop is great too (had to feature it on my blog today).

    I can't buy baby gifts any more since I make them. I usually make a hooded towel since they last so much longer than the baby ones from the stores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooded towels are such great gifts and handmade is even better. We have one that friend made us with airplanes that my son insists on using like a blanket - he likes it that much. Your towels are adorable, as is everything else in your shop. Also, thanks so much for featuring my shop on your blog today too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Building your own camp shower is pretty easy and doesn't need a lot of financial investment on the side of the camper. Here are steps on how to build an outdoor camping waterfall shower head perfect for all your outdoor and camping trips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jahje, I like your post. Nice collection of baby gears. I like the rainbow nursery baby cloud, it's seems more like a waterfall shower head that's perfect a baby shower. I have custom made for my rainbow baby’s nursery. It’s even more beautiful in person.

    ReplyDelete